Last updated March 31, 2020 – We will be keeping this as up-to-date as possible. Please check back for updates.
Everyone is changing the way they do business right now, and this does not exclude Google. If you haven’t noticed yet, Google is changing the way business owners are able to manage their GMB (Google My Business) page due to delays in support because of COVID-19. Below is a list of GMB temporary updates we’ve noticed.
- Business information edits are limited and you may notice difficulty updating the following:
- Open and closed status
- Special hours
- Temporary closures
- Business descriptions
- Business attributes edits
- Health-related businesses are being prioritized
- Newly created listings are being delayed
- Posts being rejected that do have violations
- Reviews, replies to reviews, new short names, videos, and Q&A are all unavailable unless they existed before the pandemic
- Some businesses are being marked temporarily closed that are not
- To fix this login and mark as open
- Posts related to COVID-19 are now being permitted in lieu of the GMB post shutdown
- Google has added warnings to hours stating “Hours or services may differ due to COVID-19”
- They are testing take out & delivery attributes for local results
- Marking your business ‘temporarily closed’ doesn’t impact rankings
If you are having issues with making updates it may be best to update your customers on your website and/or as Google put it “communicate timely updates to your customers via business attributes and posts during these delays.” If you need assistance with getting your listing claimed or updated please contact us for help.